Tuesday, January 26, 2016

GOOD GRADES = GOOD LIFE!

It’s not easy being a father. And more so being a Filipino father. Yesterday, or should I say last Sunday, was a typical example.

Hoping that Zach was aware of his church attire, we went to church for his altar serving. But when he put on his cassock, I found out that what he was wearing was inappropriate. I was furiously mad. To me that was a waste of time and gas. We came to church for nothing. The situation aggravated the following day when we found out that he got a C in Math and an F in Social Studies. The afternoon was not easy for him when he got home. Jaz and I simply confronted him and reminded him of his responsibility and “job” as a student. To which he was in denial and combative.

It is frustrating sometimes because you are expecting that everything is fine and yet you are blindsided with bad news. Much as you would like to be calm and reasonable, yet sometimes emotion, I mean bad emotion, takes over. You will only regret afterwards.

Today though was different. After a heart to heart talk and pleading, it seemed Zach realized that we are serious about his studies. I think I was able to say that “if before we are OK with B, now we want you to get all A’s.” Reflecting about this scenario, I guess it is better to set the bar of expectation to the highest level than by just asking for B’s.

To me academics are still the priorities. Games, clubs and piano are for kids skills development. At the end of the day, good grades, great school and stable job are the ones that can lead him to a good life. A life far from what we have gone through.

Good grades equals good life. Nothing can beat that.

No comments:

ADDICTED TO BAKE

 Couch is not the place for an older person like me to watch tv. It only takes a matter of minutes before I sleep. That was what happened to...