Sunday, June 17, 2018

Father's Day 2018

Another day remembering how important or not we are in the family. As I was reflecting on how I am as a father to my 3 kids, I chanced upon to reflect also how I was as a son to my dad. Last year, I went home and celebrated, for the first time, Father's Day with Pang. It was different and awkward. We were not really the kind of family who talks things about our feelings nor emotions. We know who we are based on our normal selves.  And we get by. One of the reasons why I went home was to see how he was doing. Thanks that today, based on Facebook photos, he looks healthy, always smiling and goes around the town Same thing with my mom. They seemed enjoying their lives in spite of the fact that Cyril just got his kidney transplant last March and Biyo's little trouble.

As a dad, I know I have a lot of misgiving to my boys. If the traditional dad of the paleolithic age train their kids to hunt, I flunk in that department. Their skills may not be at par to the kids at their age whose dad lined up the task they need to accomplish. But I am trying. I know at times I am hard on them, especially to Xandrei, who seemed to exhibit a stubborn ego. Zach's interest in art more than in math was troubling to me at the beginning, but as a teacher who appreciates and preaches diversity of skills I  learned to live with it. Ylize's artistic and dramatic demeanor always brighten my day. Being an only girl in the family and sweet to her dad is a plus. She would always have a one liner or catchy phrase that keeps me wonder what else does she have.

Father's Day then to me is just being their to/with my kids, letting them be kids and enjoy their simple joy and conquest. I am looking forward to next years reminder how good or bad was I dispensing the power of being a DAD.

*Had a great lunch today at https://www.yiayiamarys.com/ For sure we will come back.

No comments:

ADDICTED TO BAKE

 Couch is not the place for an older person like me to watch tv. It only takes a matter of minutes before I sleep. That was what happened to...